H 225cm x W 180cm
Cotton and Silk
This quilt is a response to a visit we made to The Hill House in Helensburgh, on the north side of the Firth of Clyde, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1902. The front of the quilt presumes that one is standing in the light-filled master bedroom, designed with Mackintosh’s wife, the artist Margaret Macdonald, while looking through the doorway towards the dark, rich timber panelled hallway beyond. It is as though the whiteness of the quilt allows us to ‘occupy’ the bedroom space, with the view beyond. The contrast of moving through the building from dark to light being a strong feature of Mackintosh’s domestic interiors. The reverse of the quilt traces the abstraction made by the movement in the fabric, of one of Macdonald’s curtain designs.